Exercises of Guessing Word Meaning
To measure your understanding of guessing word meaning, let’s do the exercise below!
Baca juga: Jasa Penerjemah Tersumpah
Choose the correct meaning of the italic word, and identify the type of context clue used: example, contrast, definition, or logic!
1. Our baseball team’s pitcher has a few eccentric habits, such as throwing exactly thirteen warm-up pitches and never wearing socks.
2. After the heavy rains, the stream became murky; in fact, the water was so cloudy you couldn’t see the bottom.
3. The debris on the stadium floor included numerous paper cups, ticket stubs, and cigarette butts.
4. The coach takes every opportunity to censure his players, yet he ignores every opportunity to praise them.
a. Approve of
5. The newlyweds agreed to be very frugal in their shopping because they wanted to save enough money to buy a house.
6. Although Alex usually looks unkempt, he had a very neat appearance at his job interview.
In the sentences below, which type of context clue is provided for the italic word?
7. I’m looking for a unique gift for my boyfriend; he appreciates unusual things.
8. Expecting that his license would be renewed, the pilot was surprised when it was revoked instead.