Latihan Soal Materi Past Tense
A. Complete the Sentences Using the Following Verbs in the Correct Form!
|buy – catch – cost – fall – hurt – sell – spend – teach – throw – write|
- Mozart wrote more than 600 pieces of music.
- ‘How did you learn to drive?’ ‘My father___________________me.’
- We couldn’t aff ord to keep our car, so we___________________ it.
- Dave___________________down the stairs this morning and ___________________his leg.
- Joe___________________the ball to Sue, who___________________ it.
- Kate___________________a lot of money yesterday. She___________________ a dress which___________________ £100.
Baca juga: Jasa Penerjemah Tersumpah
B. Which Goes with Which?
|1. When I got to the cafe.|
2. We fell asleep.
3. Amy learnt Italian.
4. Tom didn’t come out with us.
5. The car began to make a strange noise.
6. The TV was on.
7. When I first met Jessica.
|a. when she was living in Rome.|
b. she was working in a clothes shop.
c. when I was driving home.
d. but nobody was watching it.
e. while we were watching a film.
f. my friends were waiting for me.
g. because he wasn’t feeling well.
|1 / f |
C. Read the Situations and Write Sentences Using the Words in Brackets!
- There was a picture lying on the floor.
(It/fall/off the wall) It had fallen off the wall.
- The people sitting next to you on the plane were nervous. It was their first flight.
(They/not/fly/before) They hadn’t flown before.
- You went back to your home town recently after many years. It wasn’t the same as before.
(It/change/a lot) It __________________________________________________.
- Somebody sang a song. You didn’t know it.
(I/not/hear/it/before) I _____________________________________________.
- I invited Rachel to the party, but she couldn’t come.
(She/arrange/to do something else)______________________________________.
- You went to the cinema last night. You got to the cinema late.
- Last year we went to Mexico. It was our first time there.
(We/not/be/there/before) We _______________________________________.
- I met Daniel last week. It was good to see him again after such a long time.
(I/not/see/him for five years) __________________________________________.
- I offered my friends something to eat, but they weren’t hungry.
- Sam played tennis yesterday. He wasn’t very good at it because it was his first game ever.
D. Read the Situations and Complete the Sentences!
- We played tennis yesterday. We didn’t finish our game.
We’d been playing (We/play) for half an hour when it started (it/start) to rain.
- I had arranged to meet Tom in a restaurant. I arrived and waited for him to come.
__________________________(I/wait) for 20 minutes when__________________________(I/realise) that__________________________ (I/be) in the wrong restaurant.
- Sarah worked in a company for a long time. The company no longer exists.
At the time the company__________________________ (go) out of business, Sarah
__________________________ (work) there for twelve years.
- I went to a concert. Soon after the orchestra began playing, something strange happened.
The orchestra __________________________ (play) for about ten minutes when a man in the audience suddenly__________________________ (start) shouting.
Referensi: English Grammar in Use, Fifth Edition, by Raymond Murphy
Author: Muhammad Rifai
Baca juga: Kunci Jawaban Latihan Materi Past Tense